The Whitaker-Jaynes House was built for Andrew W. Whitaker when he arrived from Indiana in 1887 to join his brother, James A. Whitaker, a prosperous wholesale grocer from Chicago who bought 690 acres of land in Buena Park in 1885 to establish a cattle ranch.
The oldest surviving structure in Buena Park, the Bacon House is a rare example of single-wall construction with newspapers applied to the inside walls to seal out drafts. The house was originally built on Rancho Los Coyotes, which was created by a land grant from the King of Spain. Today, the Bacon House is a home museum with period and original furnishings.
Special tours are available by calling the Buena Park Historical Society at (714) 562-3570